Saturday, September 28, 2013

My Life: With Grave’s Disease

Before I begin talking to you about my experience with Grave’s Disease, I would like to give you some general background information. Grave’s Disease is an autoimmune disorder that most commonly results in the overproduction of thyroid hormones thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3). The clinical term that is associated with overproduction of thyroid hormones is Hyperthyroidism. The thyroid gland is an important organ in secreting hormones responsible for the body’s metabolism. Regulating metabolism is critical for maintaining constant conditions within our bodies that include: controlling mood, weight, mental and physical energy. The maintenance of the bodies constant conditions is known as Homeostasis. When you have over stimulation of these metabolic processes (leads to homeostasis not being maintained), symptoms like: anxiety, fatigue, insomnia, eye problems, heat intolerance, irregular menstrual cycles, shortness of breath, tremors, irregular heartbeat, and weight loss often occur. I happened to have experienced all of these symptoms.

The event that started my investigation into finding out what was going on happened in 2007 (16 years old) when I had my first panic attack. I remember feeling like I could not breathe that whole day. It was not until that night when my oldest sister checked my temperature and I had a fever of 104°, minutes after I was hyperventilating and quickly on my way to passing out. Finally, when the fire department arrived after my sisters horrified call, they gave me oxygen and I was able to break my fever and return to my normal breathing. However, this was just one of the many times this would occur.

Two years later in 2009 I was officially diagnosed with Grave’s Disease. It was winter break and I had just finished my first semester of college. I thought I was getting sick, because I had just went through my first finals week, which we all know exams can be stressful (stress over long periods of time can cause illness among other things). Therefore I thought these symptoms were relatively normal, I mean it was my freshman year of college after all! Unfortunately I got so sick (only weighed 90-92 lbs) that my parents had to take me to the hospital, which ended up being on Christmas Eve. The best part was that I was able to see an Endocrinologist who took radioactive imaging of my thyroid with iodine131 along with what seemed like a million blood tests. By the end of the day he confirmed that my thyroid was not malignant and that I indeed had Grave’s disease which caused me to have a hyperactive thyroid. (MERRY CHRISTMAS to me!!)

Part of my reaction was a sigh of relief to know after all this time what was going on. After finding out what Grave's Disease was, it all made sense why I felt the way I did. The doctor gave me three choices on how to treat my thyroid problem, first with radio active iodine therapy, second with a thyroidectomy and lastly with anti-thyroid medications. I choose to start taking anti-thyroid medications (Methimazole generic for Tapazole) as my form of treatment, because it was the least permanent. I have taken this medication everyday for the last four years, up until two months ago when I visited the lovely endocrinologist and luckily for me I am now in "remission". Although til this day I still have to get my blood (TSH levels) tested and monitored, it is better to be on the safe side.

Just like with anything in life, I have good days and I have bad days. I am thankful to be in remission, but I do not plan on my thyroid behaving as it should for long. For that I worry about the time when I decide to make a family. I have seen first hand, where a close family friend struggled to get pregnant with Grave's Disease. I just hope when I am ready, my pregnancy will be a smooth and healthy process.

If you take anything away from this entry, know that I would not change this experience. Not only has it pushed me to be a stronger person, it has boosted my interest in the medical field that much more!

References:

http://thyroid.org/wp-content/uploads/patients/brochures/Graves_brochure.pdf

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000358.htm

1 comment:

  1. Samantha,

    Thank you for sharing your story on Grave’s Disease. Over the past two years I have been teaching myself more about thyroid disorders, but usually, in the opposite direction of your disorder, towards hypothyroidism.

    My mom was diagnosed with thyroid cancer my freshman year of college and I remember freaking out because I was not aware of what the thyroid does; I didn’t know how this diagnosis was going to impact her as well as the rest of our family. Her endocrinologist caught the cancer early, so she went through the process of having a complete thyroidectomy—removal of the thyroid gland—(but leaving her parathyroid glands), which was followed up by radioiodine-131 treatment in which she was given a high dose of radioiodine-131 to radioactively destroy any remaining thyroid tissue. The combination of these two treatments resulted in hypothyroidism for my mom.

    My mom has been cancer free for almost two years now and, similar to you, she has to get her thyroid hormone and TSH levels checked regularly, as well as take a pill every day. The difference being that she takes thyroid hormone pills to replace that which her body can no longer produce on its own.

    I really appreciated reading about your story of living with Grave’s Disease and learning more about it. I think that the thyroid is fascinating since disorders pertaining to it can be regulated through various hormone therapies; the cancerous form can be treated with radioiodine since the thyroid is one of the only organs of the body that takes up iodine (the other being the salivary gland); and that a person can live without their thyroid. Now I wonder if there are any other organs that are uniquely selective of an element (like the thyroid is to iodine) in which the cancerous form of the organ can be radioactively treated in a similar way to thyroid cancer.

    References
    •Marieb, E.N., Hoehn, K. (2010). “The endocrine system.” Human Anatomy and Physiology, 8th ed. (pp. 608-612). San Francisco, CA: Pearson Education, Inc.
    •Silberberg, M.S. (2012). “Nuclear reactions and their applications.” Chemistry: The Molecular Nature of Matter and Change, 6th ed. (pp. 977-1011). New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.
    •(2012). “Thyroid Hormone Treatment”. American Thyroid Association. Retrieved from http://www.thyroid.org/thyroid-hormone-treatment/

    ReplyDelete